Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Garden

Despite the heat and humidity I was determined to finish up the garden and more specifically, strengthen the rapidly growing tomato plants. Here is a photo of the mini-hoop shelter I created using 1/2'" rebar and poly-pipe. Over the winter and early spring  can cover this with a heavy poly and experiment wth growing winter greens as well set my seedlings out in early spring. Behind the raised bed in the photo there is a garden I am starting for next year. The tarp is visible in the photo. Cutting and lighting the grass was out of the question as it is rooted n heavy clay so I am getting around this by layering cardboard , then soil, then several layers of leaves ( later in the fall) and hopefully seaweed that I need to start collecting. By spring I should have , according to the locals in-the-know, a healthy workable bed. I overestimated the amount of poly-pipe I needed so I actually have enough left over for a smaller version in the new garden. which will be ideal for early greens before frost. The raised garden will be for heat loving and tender plants and herbs. I am already looking forward to winters seed catalogues!!
Just back from our peaceful morning swim with the two eagles that join us each day, but even though the water temperature is warmer, the air is much cooler so I think  shall have a warm breakfast and hot coffee this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment